An important piece of preparedness is to gather all of your valuable documents and place them in one place.
Where you decide to collect them is up to you. You could put them in a cardboard box. You could put in a fireproof box. Even a binder would work. Just find someplace where you can gather all your important papers together. If you had to leave your home in a hurry, you could grab it and take it with you.
What you put in the box is up to you. Here are some suggestions:
- Marriage License
- A copy of your Driver’s License
- Wills or Trust documents
- Vehicle Registrations
- Vehicle Ownership Documents (titles)
- Insurance Policies
- Checking and Savings account statements
- Social Security cards
- Credit Card statements or other bills
- Birth Certificates
- Mortgage documents, rental agreements, leases
What you keep is up to you. The above are just suggestions.