Mountain House Freeze Dried – Chili Mac with Beef
There are definite differences between Mountain House Freeze Dried Foods and MREs. If you want to invest in an emergency food supply for your family, but don’t know which one to go for, here is some help.
As you read through the post, you will learn the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
Freeze-Dried Foods have these features:
- They come pre-cooked.
- They require no preparation.
- Just add hot water (or cold in a pinch), wait 10 minutes, and eat right from the pouch.
- They require very little cleanup.
- They do require water for preparation.
- Everyone likes the taste of Freeze Dried Foods.
- They are less expensive than MREs.
- They don’t weigh as much as MREs (in a backpack).
- There are many more types of meals than with MREs.
- They store for up to 25 years (lab tests have actually shown they store for over 30 years).
MREs have these features:
- Each meal is precooked, ready to eat
- They can be eaten hot or cold, right from the pouch.
- There is a complete meal in each package.
- They require more space for storage than Freeze Dried Foods.
- They are heavier than Freeze Dried Foods (in a backpack).
- They are more expensive than Freeze Dried Foods
- The meal selection is limited when compared to Freeze Dried Foods. Only 6 to 12 meal types.
- Some people do not like the taste (taste is subjective you know).
- They store for 4 to 6 years.
Now that you know all that, your decision is easy.